Monday 30 July 2018

Beowulf: More than expected


Which Edition Matters
For this project, I like to buy a paperback edition of the book. I look for second hand when I can; if I can't get it second hand I'll look for a Penguin Classics edition. But for some of the more obscure works I have to look at other editions. I like the penguin classics, I like their looks, I like their price point, and I like that I'll almost always get a good translation without having to do a lot of research.
With Beowulf, Penguin Classics does two editions a glossed text and a verse translation. I had a quick look at both of them, on book depository. I thought that the glossed text would be a bit like a bible with Strongs numbers, that is to say a modern English text with references to all the Old English words.
I decided that the glossed text was for me: I was wrong. If I had done a little more research I would have found that the glossed text would be an Old English text with reference to the modern English words, which was, in a word, unreadable, I'm sure it is great for in depth study but not for my purposes. So, I ordered the verse text and found this much more amenable to reading.

Misconceptions
I had quite a few misconceptions going into this book, some of the more obvious are,
  • I thought the whole book was about Beowulf and Grendel.
    Actually, Beowulf defeats Grendel within the first third of the book.
  • I thought Grendel was the dragon.
    Actually, Grendel is the first opponent and the dragon is Beowulf's final adversary.
  • I thought Beowulf slayed the dragon alone.
    Actually the dragon kills Beowulf and is killed by Beowulf with the help of Wiglaf, a young companion.
The Story
Beowulf travels to the Danish Court and quickly learns of Grendel, a monster who has come into the mead hall and killed Danish warriors. He agrees to fight the monster with his bare hands. He is successful in the fight. But that night, as they sleep after celebration, Grendel's mother comes in and kills warriors where they sleep. Beowulf pursues Grendel's mother into the swamp land and fights her, first bare handed and the kills her with a giant sword he finds. The Danes honour him but he chooses to go home to Geatland. Over time he becomes king of the Geats. A dragon causes some issues, so old Beowulf leads a group of warriors to fight it. Beowulf chooses to fight the dragon alone and is killed. In one last breath, Beowulf kills the dragon after Wiglaf has distracted it. Beowulf is then burried in a barrow for all to see, with all the riches of the dragon.

Reflection
Having the Christian writers perspective overlaying the pagan Germanic perspective was jarring in places. The incompatible nature of these two worldviews makes for quite disjointed juxtapositions. You could feel the Christian perspective is getting in the way of the narrative at times and confuses some of the reasons for the actions. Some commentators say this is due to the mixture of the two religions at the time, but I feel the other possibility is more likely. Beowulf was an oral story first from the Germanic worldview, then later written down by a Christian who couldn't help but re-interpret it.
One of the great things about most epic poems, and Beowulf is no exception, is how they view the past as a time of great heroics, (greater than the modern day). Their ancestors may have done great deeds and there may have been more conflict for them to distinguish themselves in. Beowulf's super human strength is a great example of this, while historians think that Beowulf is not an actual historical figure, let us suppose for a minute he is. We cannot help but decide that, while Beowulf was great at solo deeds, the chances that he actually ripped the limb off whatever kind of beast Grendel was is implausible.However you cannot deny that it cuts a great heroic figure. Something for those later generations to aspire to.


Have you read Beowulf? If so what did you think of it?
Want to read Beowulf but haven't? Hopefully this inspires you to take the time to do so.
Get a copy of Beowulf.


No comments:

Post a Comment

No longer content to be just a science major

Beginnings This all started in 2014 when, in a fit of frustration at my lack of knowledge, understanding and general grasp of western cultu...